Saturday 14 January 2012

Writer's block - Help?!

Hi Everybody,

so I've been feeling a bit writer's blockish today, somehow, I've been busy all day and haven't had a minute to sit down and write a blog post, but on the other hand, I haven't actually really done much of anything today... Kinda strange when that happens (which luckily isn't often!!).

I think it's another one of those "write-off" kinda days, where nothing really happens. Again, I've not managed to write any additional material for my book (will I ever manage to finish it, let alone get it published?!)

I really need to find my motivation again, It happens all the time, I have a (in my opinion) brilliant idea, I put pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard), write a good 10,000 words (yes, it's happened more than once!) and then lose all sense of motivation. Years later, I stumble upon it again and think "wow this is actually not half bad", yet still can't find the motivation to continue! What is it with me?!

Don't get me wrong, it's not that I hate writing - how could I, I wouldn't attempt to write a book, or even bother with a blog. As a matter of fact, I love writing, it's my passion. But for some reason I just get stuck eventually. I plan out all the big events of my story, but when it gets to a slower part, I just don't know how to make things interesting enough for someone to want to keep reading. It then gets to a point where I myself don't even want to keep writing it because I think "who's going to read this anyway?"

Anyway, enough of the writer's block ramblings, if any of you have any tips for me and my writing, please share them - I could really use the help.

Here's hoping for a motivational and more eventful day tomorrow!!

Stay Tuned,

- A

6 comments:

  1. Reading other stories helps sometimes, there's loads of inspiration within the pages of books... Or even other blogs! Sit outside or by the window for awhile with your writer's notebook...

    Also just write a little every day. Start out with 10 minutes or so, that way you don't get too overwhelmed with writing. Just use those 10 minutes each day to let your thoughts flow onto paper. Get into a habit of doing that every day and things should start to come together, somehow. And as they do, you can began to expand the amount of time that you put into it.

    Hope I helped some. :)

    xo -S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shar - That does help actually, I think I've just kinda jumped in and wanted to write for ages - it never occurred to me to go for just 10 minutes and expand from there, so thank you!!

      xx
      - A

      Delete
  2. I am afraid that I cannot give you any tips on writing. All I can say, is, do not give up! Keep writing, Even just an outline of what you want to do, and the intent to go further, is a great start! Keep writing all the bits and pieces and eventually it will all come together. Lots of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sienna - Your comment helps too, you're right, if I just keep going and don't give up, eventually it will all come together! Thank you :)

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you might be suffering from a lack of confidence. A writer never knows if what they're doing is any good. You just have to keep plugging away, doing your best, and enjoy the process. Maybe don't tackle anything too big at first. Try your hand at a short story or essay, something you can follow through to the end. Above all, don't second guess yourself or worry what others might think. Write for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the advice, you're right, I am second guessing myself and do lack confidence in my writing. But it is true, I should be writing for myself and nobody else, thanks!

      Delete